Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Remembering Howard Zinn

"To be hopeful in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness. What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places—and there are so many—where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction..."
-Howard Zinn

My Junior year in high school, we used A People's History of the United States to put Christopher Columbus on trial for genocide. That book blew my mind. Instead of reciting the version of history fed to us through the lens of the rich and powerful, through their experience as oppressor, Zinn's classic work opened up a whole new world: history from below. The book tells the inspiring, though often brutal, stories of everyday people struggling to create a better society. I would never be the same.

The following summer, I was working as a breakfast and lunch cook at The Flying Fish Cafe in Wellfleet, MA. On one particularly slow mid-week July afternoon my boss, local musician and educator Lisa Brown, came into the kitchen and said to me, "Matt, there's someone in the bakery I want you to meet." I followed her through the restaurant and into the adjacent bakery to see a tall, lanky grey-haired man. "Matt, this is Howard Zinn. Howard, this is Matt." Smiling with glee, I shook his hand and talked to him about my Junior paper which compared his friend and comrade Noam Chomsky with his (and my) historical hero(ine), anarchist-feminist Emma Goldman. He thought that was pretty cool and said that he would mention it to Noam!

Life changing moment. Check.

Lisa joined the teaching faculty that September at Nauset Regional High School and during the first week back to school invited Howard to speak one evening to the students in the School Within a School program. He was still on the Cape with his wife Roslyn who spent each summer in Wellfleet, where their son Jeff directed a local theater company.

It was such an honor seeing him speak about his life in my high school auditorium. He spoke about how his experiences as a bombardier in WWII opened his eyes to the inherent horror of war, his solidarity with black students during the civil rights struggle, and his belief in people's power to change the world.

I raised my hand and asked what young people who want to make a difference can learn from the past. He said that we need to find other people who want the same thing and work together, that we can't make as much of an impact alone. It has been organized movements, he explained, that have changed the course of history, not single figures like our history books pretend.

Over the years I had the great privilege to see Howard speak several times. I also rang up his groceries once, and shook his and Roslyn's hands in their driveway while walking around their neighborhood with my college friend Nick, who's parents lived down the street.

But most importantly, I continued to be inspired by his writing and tireless struggle against war and oppression, his contribution to social justice and a better society.

So, needless to say I was saddened by today's news that Howard Zinn died at the impressive age of 87.

Even though he is not with us anymore his work will live on forever...

"And if we do act, in however small a way, we don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory."


Rest in peace, Howard.

9 comments:

sallyo said...

Matt, Thanks for your writing. Howard Zinn came to my high school too, all the way out here in Kansas. My junior year American History teacher, Mickey Bogart, was enlightened and showed all of us who took her class that there was another way, many other ways, to be historians. My mind was totally blown.
He was such a kind man. I have a great picture of him signing my text book. He signed my friend Teresa's roller skates.
R.I.P. H.Z.
Sally Oviatt

matt dineen said...

Amazing! Thanks Sally. I like that we have that in common. Hope you're doing well!

Best,
Matt

El_Gump said...

Matt

I in turn feel like I owe a debt to you for turning me on to Howard Zinn's work. You invited me to see him speak at the Wellfleet library and I was blown away by his forceful, morally compelling argument in favor of peace, hope and solidarity. His message was simple, his reasoning persuasive. I saw him speak dozens of times in the Boston area and he was always on the front lines of the peace movement. I'll never forget his dedication to the simple concept that common, honest men and women the world over share a desire for peace. I think Howard would have enjoyed the refrain from Fugazi, "When people are catching, what bombers release, I'm on a mission to never agree."

matt dineen said...

I agree thanks Tyler. It makes me think of Howard becoming politicized himself at the ripe age of 27, how he didn't discover anarchism until the 1960's through Richard Drinnon's biography of Emma Goldman. It also makes me think of another fantastic Zinn quote:

"The Roots of one era branch and flower in subsequent eras. Human beings, writings, invisible transmitters of all kinds, carry messages across the generations. I try to be pesimistsic, to keep up with some of my friends. But I think back over the decades, and look around. And then, it seems to be that the future is not certain, but it is possible."

sailor holladay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sailor holladay said...

Matt, thanks so much for writing this. I was and am struck by Howard Zinn's mind striving toward rationality and hope for our generation to take that project on.

Anonymous said...

dear matt--
it was wonderful to hear of your early howard zinn "moments".
the chain is; your enthusiasm led to your introducing ty , ty then introduced me and bro is presently reading "PEOPLE'S HISTORY". all proving how powerful "one" voice becomes. thank you for your efforts toward peace and justice for ALL.
peace--cynthia

Andrea K said...

Matt Dineen*^*%
I have updated to the 21st century and signed my computer back up into 'tha system' provided by 'the man'. Lo and behold, i have Hearts & Brains right in front of me as one of my bookmarks. I doubted that you still kept up with this, but I"m surprisingly happy I can still catch a glimpse into the window of yer soul. (Not to be too poetic here). I look forward to reading more and I think back fondly on our Madison adventures. ANDREA K.

matt dineen said...

thanks for reading everyone!

cynthia--that is a beautiful chain. thanks for everything you do too. hope you're enjoying austin.

andrea--welcome back to the 21st century! miss you...and our adventures. are you still in austin?

peace,
matt