Wednesday, August 05, 2009

rejoining the unemployed masses, a tragedy in 3 parts

i should be at work right now. instead, i'm at the neighborhood coffeeshop sipping ice coffee. shorts, flip flops, air conditioning, seat by the window. i did bike the 5 miles to my job earlier this afternoon. after clocking in at 12:59 i found myself sitting down next to my boss as he explained to me that he would have to "let me go." what?! fuck.

last week he mentioned that the owner of the store would be coming back to town soon and that i needed to increase the production level of the sandwiches since they're the "pet project" of the big bossman. over the next 3 days i did so, "producing" more sandwiches than i previously had been. when i left sunday, before my 2 days off, the sandwich case was filled to the brim, overflowing.

something else happened sunday that contributed to my termination...as i was wrapping up the sandwiches that afternoon my boss was getting ready to leave, complaining to the other kitchen manager about how stressed out he was. i decided it was clearly a bad time to ask him about taking a few days off at the end of the summer. i left an hour later and just went ahead and wrote in the days i would be out of town on the kitchen staff's calendar. apparently this was a big mistake: "you've already taken time off and the way it works here is that after you've worked for a year you're eligible for a week off." wow. i wish i knew that before i got hired.

oh, and he mentioned the recession a few times.

so obviously there's a lot more to say, but that's what happened today. ironically, i just started working on an article for wiretap about my experiences job-hunting (and eventually getting hired for a low-wage job) in the context of the economic crisis. now i have another chapter to add. hopefully something positive will come out of this.

4 comments:

Michelle LeBlanc said...

Hey Matt,
Sorry to hear about it. I hope you've applied for unemployment, cause from the sound of this I think you'll qualify and it can be a big lifesaver.
As someone who has been "let go" I can only say that, while it sucks when it happens, sometimes it is the best possible thing as it leaves you free for better opportunities. Good luck, give me a call the next time you're in NYC and I'll buy you what is probably a much needed beer.
-Michelle

Jen said...

Ugh! Sorry to hear this Matt. I agree with the previous comment and hope you'll soon rack in the unemployment $!

matt dineen said...

thanks michelle. thanks jen. i did apply for unemployment compensation, but pennsylvania has this scam where if you didn't work a certain amount of months at a job then you are not eligible for unemployment for a very, very long time. like i could get it early next year! so crazy. but i've had a few job interviews this week so hopefully something will work out soon. thanks again!

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks