Friday, January 25, 2008

our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate

there's a famous quote (often attributed to nelson mandela) that declares how the primary obstacle that prevents many of us from accomplishing our dreams is not the fear of failure, but the fear that we actually are capable of realizing our wildest desires. that is what is truly holding us back. every now and then i turn towards this idea for inspiration, but i think that my biggest obstacle is lack of self-control.

i just got a beautiful, brand new computer and i'm hoping that i will use this tool wisely, toward realizing my full potential as a writer and thinker and doer. this is such a monstrous challenge for me though. the first days that i have owned this computer have been the story of lack of focus and procrastination. i struggle to resist the bountiful temptations of the world wide web as my deadline for a book review passes by me. even monetary compensation for said review doesn't seem to be enough motivation to get my shit together.

of course, the act of writing all of this is an attempt to get my head straight, to get into the groove of writing, and meditate on these issues that are holding me back from creating amazing things...

No comments: