Wednesday, January 12, 2005

this time, this year is bigger than us.

wow. it's a new year, a new beginning, and i am finally writing here again. yes, i'm back. is it just me or does it feel like the whole world is on winter break right now?

yesterday, i finally finally finally finished my grant application! it came down to a letter of recommendation that was sent via e-mail the night before. but i also thought of a sexy new title for my proposal at the last minute: passions and survival: beyond the capitalist dilemma, toward a new society. hot, right? printed out my writing sample, bibliography, everything and mailed it all to the institute for anarchist studies in quebec. cross your fingers for me, this could change my life.

now i have a few more days left on cape cod. the snow is back but nothing like the blizzard after christmas. before i leave i need to interview my sister, sarah and my friend jared for my project. sarah is an amazing artist who is trying to liberate herself from food industry slavery. i wish she could just have all the time in the world to make her beautiful paintings and not have to worry about paying off bills and all that garbage. jared and i played in a punk band together in high school and he is still rocking out with a new band that has played a lot in the boston-area. but he makes his living cleaning carpets. i'm excited about talking to both of them about their daily dilemmas and their life dreams.

starting this weekend i will be embarking on a tour of sorts. it will kick it off in boston before i take the chinatown bus to new york city. i guess i'll be there for a few days before i head to dc for the counter-inaugural. i hope to interview people during this time.

i'm excited about dc! i'm going down there with all these kids from bard college who are after my time. it's all about bridging those generational gaps. one of my favorite bands: defiance, ohio is playing the night before the inauguration. i can't wait. then after dc i'll be heading down to richmond to meet fellow blogger, substitute-teacher extrordinaire, and mix-tape artist amanda g. lewis. this should be a blast. check out her blog: http://flood.orphaned.net/

after that i'll be going here: http://organizedresistance.org --you should join me!

i still miss my friends in madison a lot and am really looking forward to going back there and grounding myself again.

happy new year everyone. i think this is gonna be a good one...



No comments: